Overview of CTG:
- CTG support and manage humanitarian projects in fragile and conflict-affected countries around the world. With past performance in 15 countries – from the Middle East, Africa, Europe, Asia and Central and South America – we offer a holistic fabric of project management, implementation and support. Skilled in emergency response to crises such as the Ebola outbreak in West Africa, we have the ability to act quickly (crisis response teams can be on the ground in 24 hours) and to establish structured operations in high-risk environments. CTG recruit and manage qualified, skilled teams with extensive experience operating in challenging conditions.
Overview of the position:
- Somalia Urban Resilience Project II (SURP II) is a municipal governance & infrastructure development project financed by the WB & its partners, aimed at improving access to urban infrastructure & strengthening municipal governance in Somalia. The Govt. of Somalia, through the Benadir Regional Administration (Mogadishu) representing all 4 municipalities of Mogadishu, Kismayo, Garowe & Baidoa has selected our client to provide the consulting services for the urban transport infrastructure works to be executed by the Project Implementation Unit (PIU) of the respective municipalities under SURP II. The works involve construction of urban roads to bitumen standards, construction of associated drainage works including bridges & installation of streetlights, by the contractors engaged by the respective PIU. The scope of our clients engagement is to provide technical assistance to the PIUs in the works implementation & contracts managements in the areas of design review, technical supervision, performance monitoring, quality control etc., as well as contributing to PIUs capacity buildings.
The Surveyor will be assigned to 1 of the 4 cities & will report to the Resident Engineer. S / He will be responsible for all surveying tasks related to the SURP II works implementation of the assigned city & reporting to the Resident Engineer. The Surveyor’s specific tasks will include:
- Checking the accuracy of established control points & measures to ensure acceptable level of accuracy is maintained throughout the project.
- Check & verify works undertaken by the contractor to ensure works implementation are as per the design drawings & specifications.
- Carry out topographic surveys of roads & generation of digital elevation models, maps & drawings from the survey data as directed by the Resident Engineer.
- Carrying out field measurements in support of maintaining works progress records, preparation of work quantities for the bill payments & management of variation claims etc.
- Preparation of survey reports & any other relevant documents as may be required / directed by the Resident Engineer.
- Generation of outputs on GIS platforms for use by the project team & other stakeholders. The Surveyor will also be required to interpret any survey data, maps & GIS outputs received from stakeholders.
- Ensure the accuracy of the survey equipment through testing & calibration and be the custodian of survey equipment & tools availed to him / her.
- Management of all survey records generated by the project with the responsibility for the final hand over to the client.
- On the job training of the counterpart staff provided by PIU on engineering surveying tasks.
- The Surveyor will report to the Resident Engineer.
- The selected candidate will be responsibility for handling the survey team – mainly labor management.
- Minimum of 6 year of experience in Africa (essential).
- Minimum BSc in Surveying Technology, Land Surveying, Civil Engineering or a relevant discipline or an Advanced Diploma in Surveying Technology, Land Surveying, Civil Engineering or a relevant discipline.
- A registered or licensed surveyor with a recognized institution.
- Minimum 6 years of experience in topographic surveying works for those with a BSc Degree or 8 years of experience for those with an Advanced Diploma.
- Experience in undertaking surveying of at least 1 infrastructure projects within the last 3 years, with a similar level of duties & responsibilities expected to be performed under this position TOR.
- Proficient in using latest surveying equipment such as geodetic / real time kinetic GPS, total station, automatic level & ability to upload / download data & generate topographic maps & contours.
- Demonstrated experience in data handling on GIS platforms as well as dealing with satellite imagery information.
- Proficient in engineering, survey & GIS software such Autodesk - AutoCAD & Civil 3D, ArcGIS (or other similar software).
- Somalia / East Africa is desirable.
- Fluency if written & spoken English is required.
Other relevant information:
- Qualified female candidates are encouraged to apply for this role.
- Candidates interested in applying for this role, MUST upload a copy of their latest resume on their online profiles.