Portfolio Officer - Somalia
Job Title: Portfolio Officer - Somalia
Location : Based in Nairobi with 40% travel
Reports to: Sector Team Lead
Position Level: JG6
Start Date: June 2019
Department: Portfolio Management
The AECF (Africa Enterprise Challenge Fund) is a development institution which supports businesses to innovate, create jobs, leverage investments and markets in an effort to create resilience and sustainable incomes in rural and marginalized communities in Africa. In the new 2018-2020 strategy, our goal is to "double our impact in half the time". To achieve this, we will continue to focus on the agribusiness and renewable energy sectors, increase support to climate smart technologies, refine our challenge model, expand regional presence, deepen focus on gender, youth and employment by expanding our products and partnership approach to better meet our investees` current needs; and ensure they rapidly scale and transition to external financing and sustainability thereby attaining our vision of "˜A Prosperous and Enterprising Rural Africa`.
The Portfolio Officer will be responsible for providing a broad - based technical, financial and investment management support to the task of selecting, managing and monitoring the AECF portfolio of projects. The incumbent will be expected to work flexibly and collegially in offering support to the Sector Team Lead and other internal stakeholders.
· Support and /or lead the development of portfolio management plans, in line with the overall AECF limited operational and technical management strategy;
· Work with AECF Limited competition management team to design the marketing strategy and market new funding competitions/challenges;
· Review and assess project applications, concept notes, and business plans as well as conducting basic pre - funding due diligence;
· Ensure timely disbursement of approved funds to investees;
· Guide applicants and portfolio companies on business planning and ongoing implementation of the AECF-funded projects including providing limited technical and management assistance;
· Conduct and coordinate review of investees` progress reports and feedback process, including periodic project site visits;
· Work with the Sector Team Lead to recover outstanding repayable loans as due from relevant investees;
· Implement the AECF`s operational processes for investment management including revision and development of existing operations manuals;
· Participate in meetings and events that create visibility and positive image of AECF Limited including dissemination of AECF periodic progress and impact reports;
· Adhere to the financial, accounting and procurement policies, procedures and systems;
· Ensure compliance to internal controls and risk management of the portfolio in accordance with the wider AECF Limited risk management framework;
· Responsible for developing a porfolio plan that works to achieve progression.
Required qualifications and experience:
· Bachelor`s Degree in the fields of Finance/ Accounting, Business and Economics, Agricultural economics or any other related field from a recognized institution;
· Certified Public Accountant (CPA) or hold an equivalent professional accounting qualification;
· A minimum of three (3) years' professional experience in a similar role;
· Minimum of two (2) years of experience in financial and investment (loans, grants etc.) management, with the ability to review, analyze and interpret budgets, financial management systems; financial statements and audit reports;
· An understanding of the operations of donors and international development organizations.
Required Skills and Competencies:
· Demonstrated high level of accuracy, attention to detail and thoroughness with the ability to maintain a timely and efficient work flow;
· Ability to plan and use resources (people and/or finance and/or physical assets) in accordance with the laid down guidelines and delegated accountability ensuring that objectives are achieved effectively and efficiently;
· Proven exceptional communication, presentation and writing skills with the ability to effectively communicate at all levels within the organization and externally;
· Demonstrated ability to cross and bridge different racial, cultural, or business cultures;
· Languages, fluent in English and Somali.
· Must be of Somalia Nationality.
How to apply:
If you believe you can clearly demonstrate your abilities to meet the relevant criteria for the role, please submit your application quoting in the subject line the Job Title "Portfolio Officer (Somalia) - AECF/003/2019", and attach a detailed CV, e-mail address and telephone contacts. To be considered, your application must be received by Friday 22nd February 2019 addressed to: firstname.lastname@example.org .