CAMP COORDINATION & CAMP MANAGEMENT ENGINEER -HARGEISA
Position: Camp Coordination and Camp Management (CCCM) Engineer
Department: Project Implementation Unit
Direct hierarchy: CCCM Senior Officer
Contract duration: Fixed
Starting date:** January 2019
I. Background on ACTED
ACTED is a French humanitarian NGO, founded in 1993, which supports vulnerable populations, affected by humanitarian crises worldwide. ACTED provides continued support to vulnerable communities by ensuring the sustainability of post-crisis interventions and engaging long-term challenges facing our target populations, in order to break the poverty cycle, foster development and reduce vulnerability to disasters. Their interventions seek to cover the multiple aspects of humanitarian and development crises through a multidisciplinary approach which is both global and local, and adapted to each context.
ACTED is looking for professionally confident, self-motivated, experienced and committed team player to fill CCCM Engineer position in Hargeisa.
II. Position Profile
ACTED's CCCM Engineer will play an integral part of the camp management team of Hargeisa ensuring that all inhabitants of the camp are living a safe, secured and dignified life. This will require constant interaction with the camp community, coordination, monitoring and understanding the protection risks and challenges faced in the camp. This individual will work at creating site maintenance committees at sites of implementation and work closely with IDP residents in identifying maintenance activities at site-level and training the committee at carrying out technical tasks. Moreover, the CCCM Engineer will participate with both CCCM Hargeisa teams creating site maintenance committees, supervising maintenance mandays and payment of labour.
III. Duties and Responsibilities
Implement CCCM activities as requested by the CCCM Sr. Officer such as but not limited to:
a. Balancing out budget for maintenance work and unskilled mandays planning for the inevitably swift payment of labour from the site maintenance committee.
b. Full management of camps Site Maintenance Committee including advertising TOR, hiring committee based on balancing skills with vulnerabilities, training committee in objective of the team, procure items for maintenance work, supervise maintenance work, facilitate CFW payment
c. Create BoQ and item procurement for technical work
d. Creating plan for construction of community centres receiving inputs from community leaders
e. Coordinate with gatekeeper and site maintenance committee on infrastructure maintenance ideas and costs
f. Plan and forecast the storage of items needed for site maintenance
g. Create blueprints for infrastructure construction
h. Train casual labour in creating camp infrastructure
i. Treat community members in a sensitive and humane manner
Build and maintain mutually respectful relationships with Camp Management, service providers, local authorities, IDP community members and host community members, in order to ensure smooth communication, activity implementation, and community outreach.
Any other tasks as requested by the CCCM Sr. Officer and Area Coordinator.
IV. Qualifications/Skills Required
Essential qualifications and experience:
· Completion of university degree in civil engineering, architecture, urban planning or engineering
· Minimum two years of experience in international and/or local NGO; ideally involved in the direct implementation of field level humanitarian assistance to refugees or IDPs.
· Technical skills such as using AutoCAD, ArcGIS, ODK and Microsoft Office.
· Experience in community services, women empowerment, youth activities, protection, distribution or registration.
· Experience in working with national partners, local/government authorities, and UN organizations.
· Experience working in an IDP camp setting
· Experience in creating shelters/small-medium scale infrastructure
Essential knowledge and skills:
· Extensive knowledge of Somalian displacement context.
· Excellent communication skills.
· Excellent interpersonal and team-playing skills.
· Highly flexible, with the ability to use initiative.
· Ability to work in a multi-cultural environment.
· Commitment to humanitarian principles and values.
· Understanding of gender, protection and human rights.
· Commitment to promoting gender equality.
· Proficiency in English and local language, both oral and written.
· Managerial experience, including leading/supervising subordinate staff, organizing activities and report writing.
· Experience in training and capacity-building of staff.
· Experience in CCCM, including Introduction to CCCM Training.
· Preferable experience operating in a refugee/IDP camp environment.
· Knowledge of logistics and procurement processes.
How to apply:
V. Application Procedure:
Qualified Kenya/Somalia persons with the required skills and qualifications are invited to submit their detailed curriculum vitae and cover letter as a single document (i.e. the cover letter should be on the first page and the CV should start on the second page of the same document) to firstname.lastname@example.org and received on or before 11th December 2018 with the subject line "CCCM Engineer-Hargeisa". Applications sent after the deadline will not be considered.
· Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
ACTED will at no stage of recruitment process request candidate to make payments of any kind. Further, ACTED has not retained any agent in connection with recruitments.
ACTED is an Equal Opportunity Employer. *