Position: Research Manager
Location: Hargeisa, Somaliland
Contract: 3 months with possibility of extension based on performance
Job ID: RSO0017
Forcier is a dynamic research consultancy firm operating across Africa since 2011, and in Somalia since 2012. Our core services include research, capacity building training, and strategic planning for development actors, governments, and private sector clients operating in post-conflict contexts and challenging environments. Forcier currently works in South Sudan, Sudan, Somalia, the Democratic Republic of Congo, Mozambique, and Sierra Leone and is supported by its administrative, financial, and training headquarters in Cairo, Egypt.
Job Description: Forcier Consulting is seeking a Research Manager to manage the staff carrying out field studies throughout the country.
The Research Manager is responsible for the day-to-day management of Project Officers, Fieldwork Manager, and teams of local researchers. Research Managers are primarily responsible for ensuring the production of high quality deliverables, and for supporting Project Officers to create research tools, inception reports, and final reports, among other deliverables.
Our ideal candidate is a strong team player, self-starter, and a good teacher - someone who has a lot of patience and an eagerness to help build the capacity of local and international staff. You are assertive and are a thoughtful decision-maker. You can engage with clients and fellow staff from different cultural backgrounds, and have the ability to multi-task well. We are looking for someone who will go above and beyond to make sure deadlines are met and deliverables are of the highest quality. You are also willing to lend a hand to your colleagues and help others meet their deadlines as needed.
This is a full-time position based in our Hargeisa, Somaliland, office. The Research Manager reports to the Country Director.
Description of Main Duties:
· Manage a team of at least two Project Officers and one Fieldwork Manager working on 8-10 projects at any given time;
· Set priorities and internal deadlines on projects and deliverables, and ensure they are met;
· Support Project Officers in the development of quantitative and qualitative data collection tools for projects covering a range of subject matters;
· Oversee budget management and staffing plans, and monitor their effective execution;
· Support Project Officers in analysis of qualitative and quantitative data and report writing;
· Serve as the primary point of contact to clients and lead client communication;
· Provide support and training to other Forcier staff, including local researchers;
· Ensure quality and timeliness of research deliverables;
· Plan and lead trainings on data collection tools in collaboration with the Fieldwork Manager;
· Coordinate project staffing in collaboration with the Country Director;
· Evaluate local researchers and contribute to performance reviews;
· Other duties as needed, decided in collaboration with the Country Director.
· M.A. degree (or equivalent) in international affairs/development, political science, statistics, economics or a related field with 4+ years of work experience;
· 2+ years of experience (professional or academic) conducting quantitative and qualitative data analysis;
· Management experience (experience directly managing 3+ people in a multi-cultural setting will be considered a strong asset);
· Knowledge of, and experience using, SPSS or Stata required;
· Microsoft Office skills, especially Excel required;
· Ability to work independently without supervision;
· Ability to produce high-quality work under tight deadlines;
· Willingness to work long hours when needed;
· Creativity and an ability to think outside the box to conceptualize projects and implementation strategies;
· Excellent interpersonal and communication skills;
· Flexibility in the face of challenges and comfort with ambiguity;
· A sense of humor;
· Fluency in written and spoken English.
Preferred Knowledge and Skills:
· Project Management experience, especially managing budgets and project timelines;
· Experience collecting quantitative or qualitative data will be considered an asset;
· Experience collaborating with and managing diverse, multi-cultural teams;
· Prior experience living and working abroad, preferably in a developing country;
How to apply:
Please apply on our website: http://joinforcier.com. On the Current Openings job table, locate the Research Manager job posting, job ID RSO0017 and click Apply. A cover letter and CV should be saved as a PDF and uploaded under the applicant`s name.
Applications will be received on a rolling basis. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted for an interview.