Project Manager, Somaliland
Do you want to make a difference? The Canadian Red Cross Society (CRC) and the Norwegian Red Cross (NRC), non-profit, humanitarian organizations dedicated to helping the most vulnerable, are currently seeking a Project Manager, Somaliland with a technical capacity in community-based epidemic preparedness and surveillance. The Somali Red Crescent Society (SRCS) is a very strong national society in health but its capacities require strengthening in epidemic prevention, control and response. The "Strengthening Epidemic Response Capacities in Somali Red Crescent Society" project will seek to strengthen these capacities in coordination and partnership with SRCS and the NRC.
The Project Manager is the most senior representative of the CRC in Somaliland with supervisory and managerial responsibilities. All CRC`s interventions in the country will be framed by the International Operations Strategy 2020 to deliver in the Last Mile. Reporting to the Senior Manager Emergency Programming or their designate based at the National Office in Ottawa and working with the CRC`s Global Health Unit (GHU) as well as technical advisors in NRC and at its regional headquarters in Nairobi, the Project Manager will be responsible for representing CRC in Somaliland as well as for the overall oversight and management of CRC/NRC-funded programming in-country.
The Project Manager will have strong technical capacity in epidemic preparedness, control and response and community-based surveillance and will be responsible for guiding and overseeing the implementation of the joint CRC/NRC project as well as any other CRC programs in the country to a high level of quality in line with the CRC Strategy and policies in a timely, efficient and effective manner. This includes, but is not limited to, planning, designing, implementing, monitoring, reporting and revising activities and timelines of CRC/NRC interventions in the country ensuring progress towards goals and objectives. Responsibilities will also include providing technical support to SRCS in implementation of activities, being the budget holder for all CRC operations in Somaliland, financial management and oversight, and troubleshooting as required.
The Project Manager will work in a collaborative manner with SRCS, NRC and other RCM partners, including the IFRC, ICRC and Partner National Societies, as well as other humanitarian organizations and governmental bodies as required. The Project Manager will represent CRC at all levels of its strategic and operational engagements in the country including meetings and coordination platforms with National Societies working in Somaliland, IFRC, ICRC, donors, other humanitarian and development organizations as appropriate, as well as the Government of Canada. The Project Manager will receive technical support from the NRC CBS Coordinator.
About the Canadian Red Cross (CRC): http://www.redcross.ca/
About the International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC): https://www.icrc.org/en
WHAT YOU BRING TO THE ORGANIZATION
· Post-graduate level education in public health or epidemiology required.
· Previous international experience working in the field of community-based health, epidemic surveillance, early warning, and/or contingency planning.
· A minimum of 5 years of experience working in emergency, conflict or post conflict contexts.
· Proven skills and experience in project and budget management including RBM tools, monitoring plans, finance and risk management, and narrative and financial reporting in accordance with donor requirements.
· Proven experience in overseeing program and operational budgets.
· Proven experience in effective country-level planning and building strong relationships with a wide variety of stakeholders.
· A natural team leader with exceptional interpersonal, diplomatic and communication skills.
· Ability to work in a multicultural environment; strong sensitivity to intercultural effectiveness and relations.
· Resilience and ability to think clearly and rationally in stressful situations in a constantly evolving environment.
· Proficiency in written and spoken English is mandatory.
WHAT MAKES YOU GREAT
· Mobile data collection knowledge.
· Training in gender and emergencies.
· Experience working in East Africa.
· Previous RCM experience is required along with a demonstrated commitment to the Fundamental Principles of the RCM.
This is an unaccompanied position based in Hargeisa, Somaliland. Somaliland lacks some basic infrastructure and social services and a significant percentage of the population lives in poverty. The security situation is considered volatile and unpredictable. Security rules and regulations are outlined by IFRC whom the CRC comes under for security and must be adhered to. This is a field based position. Working in countries of operation is very demanding, both physically and psychologically. Difficult working conditions are expected.
This position will remain posted until a qualified candidate is recruited.
How to apply:
HOW TO APPLY
If you are interested in making a difference and be part of a global humanitarian movement, please submit your cover letter and resume directly online here or www.redcross.ca. Applications will be reviewed on a regular basis and the job posting will remain open until a qualified candidate is recruited.
The Canadian Red Cross is committed to employment equity, welcomes diversity in the workplace and encourages applications from all qualified applicants.
Recruitment-related accommodations for persons with disabilities are available on request.