Project Manager - Gender and Youth Adviser
Gender and Youth Adviser
Open to Somali Only
Area of Operation:
South Central Somalia.
Starting in June 2018, one year with the possibility of extension.
FCA is Finland`s biggest development and humanitarian co-operation organization and the second biggest organization working in Humanitarian aid. FCA operates in 15 countries in Asia, Africa and the Middle East and is specialized in three thematic priority areas: the Right to Peace (R2P), Right to Livelihood (R2L) and Right to Quality Education (R2QE). Since 2008, FCA works mainly in Somaliland, Puntland and South-Central Somalia. Thereby, FCA together with local partners is mainly supporting and empowering local peace efforts and initiatives through the Peace Building Initiative.
Primary purpose of the position:
The Gender and Youth Advisor leads the integration of gender sensitive programming elements in accordance with global best practice, FCAs gender policy and donor requirements. The Gender and Youth Advisor participates in strategy, program implementation, program monitoring, evaluation in relation to gender and youth integration in local governance. This include capacity building and technical assistance to relevant Ministries of Federal Member States and District Council members , civil society and community stakeholders.
· In close collaboration with the Project Manager, Program Manager and Senior Governance & Reconciliation Manager, provide technical leadership to ensure gender mainstreaming, gender programming and youth participation in FCAs local governance and gender equality and social inclusion project.
· The Gender and youth advisor leads the integration of gender sensitive programming elements
· The Gender and youth advisor participates in strategy, program implementation, program monitoring, evaluation in relation to gender integration and youth participation
· This include capacity building and technical assistance to relevant Ministries of Federal Member States and District Council members, civil society and community stakeholders, implementing partners (IPs) on gender mainstreaming and youth participation.
· Work in close coordination with the relevant line Ministries of the FMS, and other relevant local authorities to ensure learning exchange, capacity building and their support for FCA program.
· To support and overseeing the capacity building of technical staff in relevant ministries, Peace Committees and District Council members
· Position upon funding availability only.
Competence, experience, skills, knowledge needed
· Master`s degree in Gender Studies or a related field (development studies, International Relations, and social sciences) preferred
· Minimum of 7 years of experience in the gender programming; most preferably related to peace and state building
· In-depth understanding of gender, age, and other socio-cultural factors in the context peace and state building
· Experience and demonstrated results in integration of gender and youth in programming
· Proven rigor in analytical, conceptual and tool/ operational manual design skills relevant to gender and youth
· Proven capacity to lead in the collection, analysis, and utilization of information from a broad range of sources in order to ensure effective integration of gender and youth concerns
· Ability to facilitate, coordinate and advocate for gender equality programming across the program.
· Knowledge of and experience with the design, management and implementation of local governance programming.
· Sensitivity to clan dynamics and understanding of the socio-economic and political situation in Somalia.
· Well-developed written and oral communication skills.
· Ability to work well with others and to develop and maintain compatibility among project staff, partners, other stakeholders and beneficiaries such as women, youth, religious and community leaders.
· Ability to travel as needed.
Improving the status and role of women and youth through the advancement of their political empowerment and participation in political decision making processes
Please note that the closing time is 23:59 pm local time.
Applications received after the closing date will not be considered.
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
Email or Paper applications will not be considered.
How to apply:
Please apply by using the link no later than on 21st of May 2018. Applicants will be short-listed and contacted for an interview on a progressive basis.
Female candidates are highly encouraged.