Department: Appraisal Monitoring & Evaluation Unit (AMEU)
Position: Accountability Officer
Direct Hierarchy: Senior Accountability Officer
Contract duration: 6 Months
Starting Date: June 2018
ACTED is a French humanitarian NGO, founded in 1993, which supports vulnerable populations, affected by humanitarian crises worldwide. ACTED provides continued support to vulnerable communities by ensuring the sustainability of post-crisis interventions and engaging long-term challenges facing our target populations, in order to break the poverty cycle, foster development and reduce vulnerability to disasters. Their interventions seek to cover the multiple aspects of humanitarian and development crises through a multidisciplinary approach which is both global and local, and adapted to each context. Their 3,300 staff is committed in to responding to emergencies worldwide, to supporting recovery and rehabilitation, towards sustainable development.
Under the direct supervision of the Senior Accountability Monitoring and Evaluation Officer, he/she is responsible for ensuring ACTED continuously engages in meaningful two-way dialogue with the communities it serves. The Accountability Officer will be responsible for ensuring the implementation and management of a complaints mechanism, pro-active engagement with project beneficiaries and ensuring issues, questions and complaints are followed up in a meaningful and genuine manner. S/he will be responsible for ensuring mechanisms are in place in ACTED`s programmes to fulfil key Monitoring, Evaluation, Accountability and Learning Commitments. This is a very exciting initiative for those interested in and passionate about ensuring communities have direct influence in aid interventions and how they are carried out. This initiative is about giving a voice to communities and ensuring accurate needs and feedback is being listened to and acted upon in ACTED programs. However, this position is dependent on availability for funding.
The Accountability Officer shall:
· Liaise with communities, beneficiaries, local authorities and community leadership structures at field level.
· Conduct regular meetings on a structured basis including: focus groups discussions; household interviews; village relief committee meetings; key informant interviews (authorities etc.).
· Produce bi-monthly (every 2 weeks) and monthly reports and regularly update the databases with feedback gathered.
· Act as a focal point for all complaints and feedback on ACTED programs.
· Map and assess community structures to ensure feedback is representative of all groups.
· Work closely with program teams to ensure all feedback is incorporated into approaches and future programs where possible.
· Receive, record, follow up and where necessary investigate complaints and feedback;
· Provide timely feedback to all stakeholders based on complaints and feedback.
· Work closely with community mobilisation teams as when necessary provide technical guidance while ensuring the community focal points and structures are representation from all groups.
· Perform other duties as signed by the supervisor.
· Bachelor`s Degree in Social Science, Community Development or related field.
· Prior experience in Accountability and Monitoring or in similar field in an NGO - Certification in the same field is a very strong asset
· Knowledge and experience of participatory rural appraisal methods will also be an asset.
· Excellent interpersonal and communication skills; the ability to successfully and effectively liaise with a variety of people in a multicultural set up.
· Proven commitment to accountable practices.
· Good English communications skills (both oral and written) and report writing skills will be preferred.
· Knowledge of local language is mandatory
· Strong team player of high integrity, pleasant personality, ability to work under least supervision and meet strict deadlines.
· Ability to work independently.
How to apply:
Qualified persons with the required skills are invited to submit their applications accompanied by detailed curriculum vitae(as a single document with the cover letter on the first page and the CV should start on the second page) detailing three work related referees and contacts to email@example.com and received on or before 5.00pm on 22nd May 2018.
Please note that only the shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
ACTED will at no stage of recruitment process request candidate to make payments of any kind.
ACTED is an Equal Opportunity Employer.