READVERTISEMENT - WASH Specialist - Based in Garowe - Puntland
Position: Water Sanitation and Hygiene Core Competency Specialist
Reports to: Head of Programme
Supervision of: None
Duty station: Garowe , Puntland
Travel: 70 % (covering WASH programme in all Somalia)
Project number: SOFM 1706
Duration and type of contract: 12 Month
All NRC employees are expected to work in accordance with the organisation`s core values: dedication, innovation, inclusivity and accountability. These attitudes and believes shall guide our actions and relationships.
1. Role and responsibilities
The purpose of the Core Competence Specialist position is technical development of the specific CC, strategic direction and quality assurance, the CC strategy and quality control. The CC Specialist is responsible for mentoring, training, capacity building staff on CC technical capacity.
The following is a brief description of the role.
Generic responsibilities (max 10)
These responsibilities are the same for all CC Specialist positions and cannot be modified:
Develop CC strategy, technical guidance and Macro LFAs
Compliance with and adherence to NRC policies, guidance and procedures
Contribute to fundraising, develop and revise funding proposal, budgets and donor reports
Identify trends technical standards and donor priorities
Follow up on compliance with contractual commitments within CC, ensure high technical quality and synergies in project implementation
Provide technical direction and project implementation support
Ensure that key learnings are extracted from CC implementation, and incorporate them in CC and staff development processes
Provide systematic training and build capacity of technical staff
Represent NRC in relevant forums/clusters, including with national authorities and donors
Promote the rights of IDPs/returnees in line with the advocacy strategy
These responsibilities shall be adapted to the particularities of the job location and context, phase of operation, strategic focus and type of programme intervention. This section shall be revised whenever a new employee is hired or the context changes significantly. The line manager drafts the specific responsibilities and sends them to his/her line manager for approval.
· Develop Core Comptenecy strategy, technical SOPs / guidelines and Macro LFAs
· Compliance and adherence to NRC policies
· Contribute to identifying funding opportunities, and develop and revise funding proposal, budget and donor reports
· Responsible for following up on compliance with contractual commitments within Core Competence, and ensure high technical quality and synergies
· Provide technical direction and project implementation support
· Identify trends in conditions/standards and donor priorities and assess better ways to assist
· Ensure key learnings are extracted from Core Competence implementation, and incorporate them in Core Competence development processes
· Provide systematic training and build capacity of technical staff
· Represent NRC in relevant forums/clusters, including with national authorities. Promote the rights of IDPs/returnees in line with the advocacy strategy
· Lead on development of the WASH strategy, proposals and plans. Ensuring all have taken into account gender, protection and accountability principles and are in line with international standards (Sphere, CoC, HAP etc)
· Play a proactive role in integrating WASH Core Competence strategy with other Core Competence strategies (namely Food Security, Shelter, Education and ICLA) to ensure maximum impact
· Ensure that the strategy is informed by sound analysis, with consultations with teams and concerned stakeholders and that programmes strategies are devised in promotion of NRC's values, culture and beliefs.
· Explore and develop strategic partners contributing to quality and scaling up of programmes
· With the coordination platform in Somalia, contribute to enhanced knowledge/practice to WASH programming across humanitarian community as well as local government and relevant authorities, bringing in strategic players/learning etc.
· Guide the teams in developing systematic tools for day-to-day implementation, ensuring compliance with established guidelines and standards. This means developing/sharing emergency and early recovery WASH guidelines, process related documents, clarifying minimum standards and modalities
· Lead in developing a public health promotion and community mobilization strategy and together with the Food Security team, develop specific nutrition messaging which can be incorporated into public health promotion
· Guide and support field staff in effective on-going monitoring on project outcomes/impacts, and render technical advice for fine-tuning plans/modalities where required
· Lead on developing WASH monitoring tools to be used by the team to ensure that relevant information is being collected to inform strategy and implementation, and to ensure accountability and learning
· Ensure learning from WASH programme is captured, consolidated and disseminated, contributing to knowledge building and sharing within Somalia to influence policies and program me planning
By interfaces, NRC means processes and projects that are interlinked with other departments/units or persons. Relevant interfaces for this position are:
· Programme development: Core Competencies section (HO Oslo)
· Proposal development: Area Managers, Project Managers
· Quality control/ support: Area Managers
· Capacity development: Project staff, Area Managers
Competencies are important in order for the employee and the organisation to deliver desired results. They are relevant for all staff and are divided into the following three categories:
These are skills, knowledge and experience that are important for effective performance.
Generic professional competencies for this position:
Minimum 4 years of experience within technical expertise area in a humanitarian/ recovery context
Experience from working in complex and volatile contexts
Core competency expertise
Documented results related to the position`s responsibilities
Knowledge about own leadership skills/profile
Fluency in English, both written and verbal
Valid driver`s license
Behavioural competencies (max 6)
These are personal qualities that influence how successful people are in their job. NRC`s Competency Framework states 12 behavioural competencies, the following are essential for this position:
· Handling insecure environments
· Strategic thinking
· Empowering and building trust
· Initiate action and change
The candidate should have a strong technical background in Civil Engineering , Hydrology or Water Engineering .
How to apply:
To apply, please visit www.nrc.no, then go to vacancies.
Hard copies and hand delivery will not be accepted.