Security Manager (SM)
Position: Security Manager (SM)
Direct hierarchy: Country Security Manager (CSM)
Contract duration: 1 year (with possible extension)
Location: Somalia (ideally in Mogadishu) - with frequent travels within Somalia/Somaliland and irregular travels to Kenya Regional or Field Offices
Starting date: ASAP
Background on ACTED
ACTED is a French humanitarian NGO, founded in 1993, which supports vulnerable populations, affected by humanitarian crises worldwide. ACTED provides continued support to vulnerable communities by ensuring the sustainability of post-crisis interventions and engaging long-term challenges facing our target populations, in order to break the poverty cycle, foster development and reduce vulnerability to disasters. Their interventions seek to cover the multiple aspects of humanitarian and development crises through a multidisciplinary approach which is both global and local, and adapted to each context. Their 3,300 staff is committed in to responding to emergencies worldwide, to supporting recovery and rehabilitation, towards sustainable development. ACTED is looking for professionally confident, self-motivated, experienced and committed team player to fill Security Manager Position in Mogadishu, Somalia.
This position, reporting to the Country Security Manager (CSM) Kenya-Somalia, will ensure that the security standards of ACTED staff are high and ensure high-level security of all ACTED assets, property and resources within ACTED sphere of influence and context of operations. He/she will acquire operational comprehensive understanding of ACTED program in Kenya and Somalia/Somaliland and provide support and advice in terms of security.
He/she is accountable for compliance of ACTED security and safety protocols in place or to be developed. He/she will support developing and implement coherent Safety & Security set up that is in line with agency standards and appropriate to each areas of operation. Ensure all offices comply with protocols in place while providing support on ad hoc base to respond to teams needs and/or in case of emergency/crisis.
He/she will visit all locations regularly, supporting teams, reviewing safety & security protocols, building up the teams compliance to protocols, providing general or specific training when necessary.
Duties and Responsibilities
1. Context analysis
· Monitor events, review incidents and provide analysis, security update, follow-up actions and recommendations
· Provide regular contextual security report to CSM and teams in country on any possible impact on staff/operations.
2. Security Assessments
· In coordination with the CSM, carry out security assessments and evaluations (Minimum Operating Security Standards (MOSS), review of Office, Accommodations, (air-Road) Movement, accessibility, actors mapping, incidents data collection, review, analysis, etc. where and when necessary.
· Update Security Risks Assessment, SOPs, CPs and others security documents as appropriate to be validated by CSM and share with all teams and ensure the security rules are applied.
· Support teams when necessary for all matter related to safety & security.
3. Operational support
· The Security Manager will provide assistance thus reducing the risks posed to ongoing, ending, new or planned programs, to operational teams, and assets. S/he supported by the CSM, will assist in the management of day to day management safety & security in ACTED areas of operation providing advice, coordination and support to all staff.
· Ensure that regular security meetings are held and information disseminate to teams
· Advise, review, support team on safe movement (staff, vehicles, communication, training need, protocols)
· Assist teams during proposal writing to integrate safety & security needs and related costs
· During field visits include protocols, base, accommodation, transport, movement, program related findings/issues that may need revision.
4. Briefing and training
· Provide security briefing package for all new ACTED staff, visitors, consultants.
· Provide or facilitate security training to staff as needed and ensure that all staffs adhere to security policies and procedures.
· Build up the capacity of Safety & security related Focal Points to conduct threat assessments and security briefing
· Review, support, train dedicated staff with responsibilities in case of incident, accident or emergency/crisis.
5. Liaison with humanitarian, military, community and other actors
· Establish a strong relationship with INGO, LNGO and/or UN agencies working in the Humanitarian and/or security sectors. Liaise with other stakeholders (community leaders, local authorities, Government officials, Security forces) when necessary.
· Share security updates within ACTED Safety & Security Network.
· Fill reports in case of security incident and follow up as appropriate.
· Fill the incident data base for Kenya/Somalia and centralize the national incident data base.
· Participate in the writing/updating of related security protocols and annexes.
· Ensure proper filing/file maintenance of security related documents.
· Prepare weekly reports and relevant parts of internal monthly reports
· Bachelor`s degree in Security Management or related field
· A minimum of Four years relevant experience in a dedicated safety & security post, preferably at a management position, in various duty stations within Somalia.
· Formal security qualification and/or specific security training preferred
· Good understanding of safety & security protocols, MOSS, emergency and crisis management.
· Demonstrable experience in report writing and analysis, incident reporting, incident mapping, information collection and analysis, writing, developing security related protocols.
· Clear understanding of humanitarian principles and NGO mandate and mode of operation
· Excellent resistance to stressful situations.
· Excellent interpersonal skills and demonstrated ability to establish effective work relations at all levels with all stakeholders.
· Proven ability to prioritize tasks, meet deadlines and work with limited supervision, pro-active and a good team-player.
· Ability and willingness to operate outside work hours during emergencies
· Good understanding and use of most MS office tools (Word, Excel, Powerpoint, Outlook)
· Fluency in Somali language (mandatory) and good level of English (spoken and written)
· This position will require possible travel to some current ACTED`s areas of intervention in Kenya (Mandera, Elwak) and frequent travel to Somalia/Somaliland: Baidoa, Kismayo, Mogadishu, Garowe, Badhan, Hargeisa and to other areas when necessary.
How to apply:
HOW TO APPLY (Application Procedure):*
Qualified candidates with the required skills and qualifications are invited to submit their detailed curriculum vitae and cover letter to email@example.com on or before Monday 22nd of January 2018 with the subject line "Application for Security Manager Position". Applications sent after the deadline will not be considered.
a) Shortlisting will be done on rolling basis.
b) Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
c) Female candidates are encouraged to apply.
d) ACTED has right to hire before the stated deadline.
ACTED will at no stage of recruitment process request candidate to make payments of any kind. Further, ACTED has not retained any agent in connection with recruitments. ACTED is an Equal Opportunity Employer.