Nutrition Sart Survey Consultancy
Title: Nutrition SMART Survey Consultancy- Somalia (Dinsoor and Wajid district)
Location: Somalia (Dinsoor and Wajid district)
Timeline: December 2017
Key Working Contacts: Technical Specialist Nutrition, Research Associate and Logistics Supply chain Officer.
Save the children is a key actor in Somalia running both humanitarian and development projects in Somalia. SCI over the years has taken a lead role in production of research and assessment findings to inform in evidence based programming in Somalia.
Under nutrition, SCI has taken a front role in production of district level SMART, KAP and IYCF surveys and feeding the results to the national surveillance and coordination mechanism of the cluster and MoH. SCI approach has been complementary to ensure that nutrition information gaps are covered with quality and timely information to aid in program design.
SCI has identified Wajid and Dinsoor as districts with limited quality and updated data in nutrition. To fill this gap, SCI proposes to conduct an integrated SMART survey in December 2017.
2. Overall Survey Objective:
Estimate Nutrition status of children <5, retrospective mortality, Food security indicators and WASH indicators in Dinsoor District.
2.1 Specific objectives of the survey
· Estimate prevalence of acute malnutrition among children 6-59 months.
· Determine level of IYCF practices and Knowledge among caretaker for children 0-23 months using the standard indicators of IYCF assessments.
· Asses maternal Nutrition status of WCBA ( 15-49 years)
· Estimate Retrospective CMR and U5MR
· Establish contextual factors contributing to the status of malnutrition and linking them to conceptual framework of malnutrition
· Craft actionable and localized recommendations based on the findings. Using assessment for action approach clearly indicating the finding, recommendations actions, timelines and responsibility and monitoring.
3. Scope of Work
· Consultant will be managed by the technical specialist with support from research associate. The consultant will carry out the following tasks:
· Developing of survey protocol, presentation to the cluster, nutrition and research department for review and validation.
· Review of existing data collection tool available in the department, updating the tools on ODK and submission of final approved version for uploading.
· Recruitment and training of the survey teams both on technical aspect of the survey and use of mobile for data collection.
· Organization of the teams, supervision and daily data quality checks to ensure quality is acceptable and timely feedback is given.
· Data management: Data analysis
· Producing of final report and presentation to key stakeholders.
4. Expected deliverables and outputs
· Validated Survey protocol
· Tools for data collection revised as per feedback.
· Raw data sets for all data collected during the survey, including qualitative transcripts
· PowerPoint presentation of summary of survey findings.
· Final survey report validated by the Aim Working group Somalia.
5. General conditions of the consultancy
Mode of the payment to the consultant shall be 30% payment on commissioning, 70% after submission and approval of final survey report. The Language of the report must be in English and the survey will take a maximum of 30 days.
6. Key qualifications and competencies required
· Prior experience in conducting Nutrition, health and WASH assessments. Having conducted similar assignment in Somalia will be an advantage.
· Understanding of Somalis nutrition environment, emerging issues globally and strong technical nutrition background.
· Proficiency in nutrition data analysis packages specifically ENA, EPI/INFO, and STATA, SPSS or other relevant for analysis of additional indicators.
· Experience in data collection using mobile (ODK) or any other similar platform.
· Strong analytical, communication, reporting and presentation skills.
Fluency in English, Somali speaking is desirable.
How to apply:
1. Proposal submission and Validation
Interested candidates, company or firms should send their applications to Somalia.email@example.com. by the 11th December 2017. This should include the technical proposal, financial proposal covering professional fees and a CV indicating prior experience of successfully conducting similar tasks.